Friday, January 9, 2015

How To Warn a Young Worker in the Faith

As a person who works (or will work) overseas in the manner that I do, I get many comments about how dangerous things are and how I should be aware of certain people. While I do take natural caution to all of those things I can't help but notice how frequent these comments are and how they are backed with a kind and well meaning "You're so brave." Don't get me wrong, I know the people who make these comments are only doing so because of their love for me and their hopes that I live a long and prosperous life. To that I say thank you, I love you too, I respect you, and I hope your life is also granted the gift of longevity if it is God's will.

I land somewhere in my thoughts on this in a place where, once again, those whom I live around and love will think I am just a little short-changed in the noggin area. While people and places and situations are forces to be reckoned with I can do you one better that plagues every human life no matter who you are. It comes for us and holds nothing back and it is something deep and dark, never tiring, working in our circumstances and in ourselves.

You see, in this life we all have to be "so brave." It's not an enemy that backs down because of the guns you have or the cunning of your attack plan. It doesn't matter if you stay in these United States or go somewhere else, it follows you and everyone else, "looking for someone to devour."(1 Peter 5:8). I have been told to be aware of the dangers of people and places, but I have to say a more dangerous adversary works through simplicity and complexity, lies and deceit, and if I turn myself over to his sly words I am in more trouble than if a gun were pointed at my head and shot point blank.

I fear being devoured more than I fear a gunshot to the head, or a bomb in the next room over.

What is death? What is there to fear in death when Jesus Christ has conquered it and has promised that it is not necessary to dread death because of what lies behind it. Death is not the enemy, The lion that does not and will not lie next to the lamb in peaceful harmony is the enemy. I feel like people should be warning me instead:

 "Be careful that while you are over there you do not believe the lies that are whispered in your ear."
Or,
"Remember to steep yourself in the Word so you do not give into worldly temptation."
Maybe even,
"Keep in mind, don't be afraid."

Where is this advice to heed among those who have loved Jesus and are wishing a worker well on her way? I know that people can be evil and thus devoured by this same evil I am talking about. However, it is that same evil that pursues me, and pursues you. It relentlessly and tirelessly surrounds and pounces whenever the opportunity arrives in our personal lives. I don't want to hear doubt in people's voices when they warn me of the evil in the world, I want to hear hope in the warnings because of what Christ offered and the fact that I accepted.

I know that people are hearing the lies and believing them, being devoured to the point of almost no return. I know it, and that is why I do what I do, because Jesus has more power than the one that devours, God reigns over him too. I know the dangers, I may be an unwed, mid-twenties girl, but I am educated about the dangers. You want to warn me of the dangers in this world? Tell me that when I hear things in my ears like:

"You aren't good enough, creative enough, smart enough, or strong enough to do this thing you are pursuing, just quit and stay here, get a regular job and find a husband to love you instead."

*Disclaimer: The above statement is pertaining to my situation only, my convictions about the work I am proceeding to do on this side of Heaven. 

These are just lies, and stumbling blocks in your faith, don't listen to them. Warn me not to listen to the evil that will devour me and cause me to settle for the world and stop working for the Lord. Warn me that sometimes when I am alone over there this voice WILL get louder, be sure to go find a like-minded person in the faith to spend time with when this happens. Tell me to go find encouragement...or encourage me to continue on this path, be my noise blocker. Remind me to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, and strength and do not give into the worldliest parts of my being.

Tell me to keep my sword sharpened and at the ready for the adversary of my soul.

All to God

No comments:

Post a Comment